Sony en Geohot zijn eruit: rechtszaak is geschikt

Er lijkt een einde gekomen te zijn aan de rechtszaak die Sony heeft aangespannen tegen hacker George ‘Geohot’ Hotz. Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) heeft namelijk zojuist laten weten via een verklaring op het officiële Amerikaanse PlayStation Blog dat SCEA en Geohot een schikking hebben getroffen in de rechtszaak die Sony had aangespannen tegen de hacker.

De schikking is tot stand gekomen na overleg tussen beide partijen waaruit is voortgekomen dat Geohot een permanent gerechtelijk bevel heeft die hij moet volgen. Dat betekend natuurlijk dat hij zich onder andere niet meer bezig mag houden met het hacken van de Sony PlayStation 3.

Lees hieronder de volledige officiele verklaring van SCEA over de geschikte rechtszaak:

Joint Statement

Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and George Hotz (“Hotz”) today announced the settlement of the lawsuit filed by SCEA against Hotz in federal court in San Francisco, California. The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011. As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction.

Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

In the action, SCEA accused Hotz of violating federal law by posting online information about the security system in the PlayStation 3 videogame console and software that SCEA claimed could be used to circumvent the security system in the console and allow the playing of pirated videogames. Hotz denies any wrongdoing on his part. Hotz’s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction was still pending before the federal court in San Francisco but a preliminary injunction was issued requiring Hotz to take down the postings challenged by SCEA.

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”

  1.    1600 XP
    BloodlyKill's avatar

    lekker snel maar heb het al gelezen op ign :p

  2.    844 XP
    thom430's avatar

    Goed, kunnen de Anonymous mensen weer doorgaan met hun leven nu?

  3.    376 XP
    Mark k.'s avatar

    mooi zo beide partijen zijn blij en geen anti hacker vs hacker oorlog meer 😀

  4. Anoniem -   
    Vechtersbaas's avatar

    beter helpt die Hotz sony met het verbeteren van de beveiliging en zorgen ze dat de PS3 op 1 of ander manier onhackbaar word. zo niet fuck het dan.

  5.    816 XP
    k1ll1ng5pr33's avatar

    @Vechtersbaas: Ze hebben de beveiliging al aangescherpt met FW3.60 tijdje terug, waarbij niet meer gebruikt wordt gemaakt van een rootkey blijkbaar.

  6.    16 XP
    Oldskool-mf's avatar

    Alles blijft hackbaar dat zal altijd zo blijven.

  7.    2517 XP
    Sixstar6's avatar

    Vet shit. hoor klaar met die hackers

  8.    561 XP
    Heavenly Gun's avatar

    Anoymous kan weer verder met leven (als hij die heeft..)

  9.    127 XP
    LEROYJ's avatar

    @Oldskool-mf: er zijn dingen in de wereld niet te hacken.